Water sports are amazing but one has to extra careful while fishing and kayaking. It is important to carry the kayak fishing life vests with you. They protect your body from heat, cold, snow and rainwater. Apart from that, these life jackets will prevent you from drowning in case of accidents or bad climatic conditions. To pick the best kayak PFD, it is necessary to consider some factors such as material, foam, straps and other accessories. There are several brands such as Stohlquist, Onyx, and others that produce the topnotch life vests for kayaking at cost-effective rates.
- 1 Comparison Table – 7 Kayak PFDs
- 2 The Best Life Jackets For Kayaking Reviews 2020
- 2.1 1. Onyx MoveVent Dynamic Paddle Sports Life Vest
- 2.2 2. Stohlquist Woman’s Flo Life Jacket
- 2.3 3. Stohlquist Fisherman Personal Floatation Device
- 2.4 4. Stohlquist Men’s Ebb Life Jacket
- 2.5 5. Stearns 2000013801 PFC 2220 Cmft Fishing 2X Grn
- 2.6 6. Stohlquist Men’s Trekker Life Jacket
- 2.7 7. NRS cVest Mesh Back PFD
- 2.8 8. Kokatat Bahia Tour Personal Flotation Device
- 2.9 9. Onyx Youth Paddle Sports Life Jacket
- 2.10 10. Astral Ronny Fisher Life Jacket PFD
- 3 How To Choose The Best Kayak PFDs?
Comparison Table – 7 Kayak PFDs
The Best Life Jackets For Kayaking Reviews 2020
1. Onyx MoveVent Dynamic Paddle Sports Life Vest
This life jacket for kayaking from Onyx gives you a real-time fun of paddling the kayak. It comes with bubble foam on the inner side for ease and comfort. Besides that, this paddling life jacket has pockets with smooth moving zippers. It also has mesh drainage with drying loop on the backside. In addition to that, this lightweight life vest comes with an attached whistle so that you can protect yourself during harsh environmental conditions. This PFD for kayaking is easy to wear and has soft material which gives comfort to your body.
- Lightweight and durable
- Soft material used
- Whistle for safety
- Gives good mobility for paddle sports
- Zippered pockets and drying loop on the backside
- Stunning vented channels
- Comes with mesh drainage
- Poor quality material
- Poor sizing
- Too small pockets
- Bulky in weight for recreational paddle sports
- Adjustment straps get wrapped
2. Stohlquist Woman’s Flo Life Jacket
The next on the list is one of the most famous brands in the world, Stohlquist. It brings some of the most amazing women’s life jackets for kayaking at reasonable prices. This nylon made a comfortable life jacket comes with lightweight PE foam for ease to wear. This material does not cause rashes or other skin allergies such as irritation or skin burns. In addition to that, this paddling life vest includes waistband made from Neoprene. It has 400×200 denier ripstop outer shell and soft 200D inner liner. Additionally, this kayak fishing life vest has high back floatation which fits exactly above the seat backs.
- Gives cool feeling to the body
- The lightweight material used in the making of this jacket
- Cross designed strap for zero rides up
- Beverage pockets included
- Durable and easy to wash
- Not good for fat people
- Mesh fabric causes skin allergies
- It weighs heavy sometimes
- Make the ride very difficult
3. Stohlquist Fisherman Personal Floatation Device
This life vest for kayaking available in cool colors. Having the nylon material, this men’s kayak life vest comes with high-back floatation for the backrest. Apart from that, this life jacket comes with every size. It includes Neoprene padded shoulders and open sides for air flow. This life vest from Stohlquist gives good safety to the fisherman. It weighs only 1.1 pounds. Besides that, this lightweight life vest for kayaking from Stohlquist has front pockets with EVA stiffened outer shells for full protection while paddling the kayak in the deep waters.
- Comfortable material
- Front pockets with outer shells for protection
- Can be placed in plastic lure boxes
- Zips on the front for easy operations
- Good for all paddle sports
- Too bulky for the purpose of fishing
- Very small pockets to keep anything
- Not good for fly fishermen
- One cannot easily move
4. Stohlquist Men’s Ebb Life Jacket
At number 4, it is again Stohlquist brand. This is one of the comfortable life jackets for kayaking designed for men. Made from rich quality nylon, this life vest has ripstop shell and oxford liner. It is made from good quality foam to give comfort to your body. Apart from that, this material does not cause skin burns or irritation. Furthermore, this kayak fishing life jacket comes with a waistband made from Neoprene. To carry the canoe or boat easily, this life jacket contains padded shoulder straps. It also has ventilated sides for air flow.
- Lightweight and easy to operate
- Easy to wash with hands or in the washing machine
- Durable and skin friendly
- Pockets from both the sides
- The good quality PE foam
- Mesh back
- Poor quality straps
- Very small front pockets
- No space to attach a clip
- Many adjustments
- Becomes bulky while paddling
5. Stearns 2000013801 PFC 2220 Cmft Fishing 2X Grn
The next on the list is the kayak life jacket from Stearns. It comes with mesh shoulders for easy pulling and moving of canoes or kayaks in the water. Furthermore, this life jacket for kayak fishing has nylon shells. It also includes side adjustments and adjustable waist belt with zipper front. This life jacket has good construction and provides safety during fishing or recreational sports in the lakes or rivers. The life jacket comes with a nice netted design on both the sides for a cool look. It also has an adjustable buckled strap.
- Easy to clean and store
- Lightweight material
- Good for both fishing and recreational sports
- Comes with an adjustable buckled strap
- Adjustable waist belt for a comfortable water ride
- Durable material
- Too many adjustments to be done before a water ride
- Gets bulky sometimes
- Bad straps
6. Stohlquist Men’s Trekker Life Jacket
This is the most comfortable kayak life vest from Stohlquist. It is 7” high and the width is 17”. Apart from that, this life jacket comes with 500 Denier Cordura shell and 20 deniers Oxford Liner. It comes with cross-chest for safety while riding the boat in rivers or lakes. Additionally, the premium quality nylon protects your body in any weather. It does not cause skin allergies such as irritation, itching or skin burns. This life preserver for kayaking includes a back pad and ventilated shoulders for smooth airflow and comfortable ride.
- Lightweight, durable and easy to use a life jacket
- Easy to wash with hands or in the washing machine too
- Front entry zipper for quick operations
- Adjustable padded shoulders for easy moving of canoe or kayaks
- It becomes bulky many a time in the water
- Not easy to move with this life vest
- Shoulder straps cause itching and other skin problems
7. NRS cVest Mesh Back PFD
The next on the list is one of the most unique kayaking life vests from NRS. It comes in a beautiful red color with grey straps on the shoulders. It contains premium quality nylon fiber which does not cause itching, irritation or skin redness. In addition to that, this life vest for kayaking from NRS includes high-back flotation for the backrest. It also includes 3M reflective accents. For a more comfortable fitting, this life jacket comes is designed with 6 adjustment points. Besides that, it also has a mesh lower back for those who have to travel long hours in a canoe.
- Adjustment points for exact size
- Good quality material
- Good for fishing, kayaking, and other water sports
- High back floatation for giving comfort to your back
- Durable and easy to wash
- Poor quality mesh lower back
- Available in limited sizes only
- Many adjustments
- Bad straps and they get torn
- Bulky in weight
8. Kokatat Bahia Tour Personal Flotation Device
Kokatat introduces a good quality kayak safety vest made from nylon material. It includes 210D nylon inner and outer shell. Apart from that, this life jacket comes with thick foam containing a mesh vent panel. Additionally, this personal flotation device kayak is approved by United States Coast Guard and ISO too. Furthermore, this life vest comes with reflective tape and 2 front pockets. It also includes the license window. You can enjoy kayak fishing with this amazing personal flotation device for kayaking. It also includes adjustable shoulder straps for more customized fitting.
- Mesh panel gives good backrest.
- Lightweight and durable
- Simple to wash with hands and soap
- Beautiful front pockets and license window
- Good quality foam to protect skin from allergies and infections
- It feels bulky while doing fishing in the kayak
- Bad design
- Confusing adjustments to get a customized fitting
- Not good for paddling the kayak or canoe
9. Onyx Youth Paddle Sports Life Jacket
If you want one of the comfortable kayaking life jackets, pick this one from Onyx. With a compact design and beautiful color, this life jacket comes with high foam back for back seats. It has pockets with zips and you can expand them as per your needs. Additionally, it contains mesh drainage to prevent your body from the water. This is the most comfortable life jacket for kayaking from Onyx which you buy for enjoying recreational water sports. Furthermore, it includes neoprene shoulder pads for the painless moving of canoe and boats in the water.
- Lightweight and easy to wash with hands and soap
- Pockets with good quality zippers and they can be expanded
- Neoprene shoulder pads for better movement
- Compact design and durable
- No straps for leg comfort
- It does not provide ease of paddling in canoe, boat or kayak
- Many adjustments are difficult to understand
10. Astral Ronny Fisher Life Jacket PFD
The last on the list is one of the most amazing kayak fishing life jackets from the Astral brand. This life jacket can be used for fishing, touring and kayaking. It comes in 5 beautiful colors to make your water ride a beautiful one. It has a front center zip and has a weight of only 1.84 lbs. This is one of the lightweight life jackets you can carry anywhere with you for a memorable water ride. The jacket is made from PE foam and comes with 500 Denier Cordura and 300 Denier Poly Liner.
- Good quality nylon used in the making of this life jacket
- Comfortable to wear on canoe and kayak
- Good for recreation, touring and fishing
- You can wash it with hands and soaps
- It becomes too bulky in water
- Poor quality straps
- Uncomfortable during paddling and recreation
- Bad quality shoulder straps
How To Choose The Best Kayak PFDs?
- Safety Certification
If you are buying life jackets for the kids below 12 years, pick the ones approved by U.S. Coast Guard. The certification from U.S. Coast Guard means that the life vest is safe to wear by the kids below 12 years. Besides that, you must also see reflective straps and shoulder straps.
- Buoyancy and Flotation
You must check the buoyancy and flotation of kayaking life vest before buying it, also see kayak store near me in the google search. It will very helpful for you to choose the right product. Normally, the buoyancy of 7 to 12 pounds is good for adults to remain out of the water. Today, most of the lightweight life vests come with a buoyancy of 15 pounds. This makes it easy for adults to move in water without difficulty. Apart from that, you should check the label to see whether the life vest suits your body weight and composition. Further, you can check the buoyancy and flotation of the life jacket by placing it in shallow waters. If you can float easily with mouth out of the water, buy that life vest.
- Fit and Comfort
To find the women’s kayak life vest, you should take the measurement from the chest. There are various sizes available in life jackets designed for kayaking. You should keep the straps loose while measuring the life jackets. Apart from that, the life jacket should not rub on your arms.
- Kayak Style
To know the kayak style, you can read kayaking life jackets reviews on Amazon. If you are a white water kayaker, buy the vest with fewer pockets and if you enthusiastic paddler, choose the one with many pockets. If you want to paddle different kayaks, pick the one with more pockets.
Going through kayak life vests reviews will help you in getting the life vest which is easy to store. A life vest must be such that it can be easily stored in a box or a bag that you carry on canoe. It should not be too bulky or large for easy storage and carrying. It must have big pockets for keeping sunscreen lotions or other accessories.
- Entry Method
There are 2 types of life jackets. One comes with zippers and the other type has fastening belts. Choosing zippered life jackets for kayaks is not advisable for purchase as the zips can break in the middle of touring or kayaking. It is better to read the kayak vest review before buying it.
You should also buy nylon or neoprene material while buying a kayaking life jacket. The life jackets made from nylon or neoprene protect your body from the water and harsh climatic conditions. You can read paddling life jacket reviews to pick the most durable life jacket for recreation and touring.
FAQs About Kayak PFDs
Q1: Is the life jacket certified by U.S. Coast Guard?
Ans: Yes, most of the kayaking life jackets are approved by U.S. Coast Guard.
Q2: Is this life jacket good during the summer season?
Ans: Yes, it is made from rich quality foam and nylon which does not cause skin allergies or infection.
Q3: I am an adult woman and have a small size in t-shirts. Which is the perfect size for me?
Ans: The life jackets come in small sizes. You can choose the smallest size which will fit your body perfectly. You can check other sizes too.
Seas, deep lakes and rivers cannot remain the same in the full year. It is better to wear life jackets in any season when you go for kayaking, touring or fishing. To avoid confusion, you can visit online shopping apps such as Amazon and Flipkart and kayaking PFD reviews for a better understanding. There are several kayak life vests for sale on these apps. You can pick your favorite kayak flotation vest which suits your body weight and composition. Safety is very important while fishing, touring and recreation. You can choose cool life jackets from the above list.