Are you looking to have a clean pond ecosystem? Then a pond filter is the must-have. A pond or a water feature can change the whole landscape of your house. But that is possible only when the pond ecosystem is clean and healthy. Get the best Pond Filter systems for your pond or Koi. Here is a buying guide for you to help you decide the right kind of pond filter for your water feature.
- 1 Top-rated 5 Pond Filters – Comparison Chart
- 2 Best Rated Pond Filter Reviews 2020 Updated
- 2.1 1. TetraPond Filtration Fountain Kit
- 2.2 2. Best Choice Products 4000L Pressure Bio Filter for Pond
- 2.3 3. Jebao Bio Pressure Pond Filter with UV Clarifier
- 2.4 4. Goplus Pressured Pond Bio Filter 400GAL
- 2.5 5. CNZ All-in-One Pond Filter System
- 2.6 6. POND BOSS Filter Kit with Pump
- 2.7 7. Grech CPF-2500 Pond Bio Pressure Filter
- 2.8 8. OASE BioSmart 10000 Pond Filter
- 2.9 9. OASE 706759403498 032209 Filtral
- 2.10 10. Fish Mate 1000PUV Pressurized UV+Bio Pond Filter
- 3 What is a Pond Filter?
- 4 How to Choose The Right Pond Filter for Your Needs?
- 5 FAQs About Pond Filters
Top-rated 5 Pond Filters – Comparison Chart
|TetraPond Filtration Fountain Kit|
|Best Choice Products 4000L Pressure Bio Filter for Pond|
|Jebao Bio Pressure Pond Filter with UV Clarifier|
|Goplus Pressured Pond Bio Filter 400GAL|
|CNZ All-in-One Pond Filter System|
Best Rated Pond Filter Reviews 2020 Updated
We have tried and tested several pond filters and came up with the list of top 10. Have a look to know the pros and cons and purchase it instantly.
1. TetraPond Filtration Fountain Kit
Do you own a pond that contains 250 to 500 gallons of water? Then the TetraPond Filtration Fountain Kit will be the best choice for you. This pond filter includes 3 fountain attachments that clean your pond efficiently. The fountains are known as forthy, spray, and ball pattern. Swivel Adjuster is included in the fountainhead.
This submersible filter stops water clogging to keep your pond crystal clear completely. It drives almost 325 gallons of water per hour. Have a look at the positive and negative sides of this pond filter.
- Once assembled it’s effortless to put in the pond
- Quite easy to clean
- One solution for all pond filtration requirements
- Sometimes joining the parts can be difficult
2. Best Choice Products 4000L Pressure Bio Filter for Pond
The latest pond filter Best Choice Products 4000L is the new entry in our list. This filter never fails to make a buzz among the pond owners. The brand has started making a profit just a little while by creating a market for wholesales. Though the demand for these filters is increasing day by day, the company doesn’t make any specialized filter for fish ponds or garden care.
Still, if you want to keep the ecosystem of your pond stabilized then you must go for this filter. Moreover, it will be a perfect choice for the koi pond owners as BCP 4000 efficiently copes up with usage and cleaning capacity.
- Flow rate is fantastic, and features are attracting
- UV clarifier has a great influence on cleaning the pond
- It takes a little longer to clean
3. Jebao Bio Pressure Pond Filter with UV Clarifier
Looking for the best external pond filter? Jebao bio pressure pond filter is here to put a stop to your tiring search. Your natural pond will get enhanced with our next pick. Jebao bio pressure comes with the cleaning indicator, backwash facility, 13-watt UVC, and UVC viewing window. So this filter will be an excellent choice for your pond containing up to 1000 gallons of water.
Jebao CF-10 has a specialized filtration system that collects all sort of debris with the help of two foam discs. Additionally, it breaks down all the pollutants of your pond and keeps the water fresh. Moreover, the UV lap plays a vital role in removing the algae spores.
- Value for money- Great filter at affordable price
- Backwash feature keeps the water clean
- Accessible to place an efficient enough
- Active UV rays kill all the germs with the help of UV penetration Quartz glass
- Large sized filters are more effective than a small one
4. Goplus Pressured Pond Bio Filter 400GAL
The Goplus Pressured Pond biofilter comes with a 13W UVC clarifier. With a dual filtration system, this biofilter offers a clearer and healthier water feature for your garden.
Dual filtration ensures the most transparent water feature and easy to use cleaning equipment.
Can filter 10000 liters per hour and easily adjustable with the pond of 4000gal. Having UVC ultra-violet purifier offers the most effective pressure filtration it comes with in-built UV bulb system. Installation is secure and easy to maintain as well.
- Offers excellent value for the money spent
- Perfectly suitable for small sized pond up to 4000gal
- Dual filtration system mechanical and bio
- Easy to install and use
- Can’t be used with large pools
- Undeliverable outside the US
5. CNZ All-in-One Pond Filter System
CNZ All-in one pond filters are used to keep small ponds clean. With the integration of the pump and UV lamp, this pond filter excels in producing fresh water. CNZ filter will not interrupt in the beauty of your pond as it’s completely submersible. Place your favorite filtering media in the giant foam filter or the additional 3 filtering baskets.
Want to enhance your pond with an eye-catchy waterfall? CNZ pond filters will help you with 3 different fountains. So you can easily use this as a water feature.
- Acts as a filter, pump at a time and has an adequate UV light to purify water
- Fountains and waterfalls can be made easily
- Filter media includes 3 different baskets
- Replacements are difficult to find
6. POND BOSS Filter Kit with Pump
Want an eco-friendly water kit along with the pump? Pond Boss is here to offer you the same. The kit includes nozzle and other stuff. Also, it is quite energy efficient. You will get filter, pump, and nozzles separately at only one purchase. If you own a small pond containing up to 500 gallons of water, then this pond filter is the best choice for you.
You can easily create, maintain, and enhance your pond as per your convenience. This eco-friendly and durable pond filtration system doesn’t make any noise while working.
- Perfect for making a fountain and soothing for ears
- Provides crystal clear water 24X7
- The base needs to be weighted down
7. Grech CPF-2500 Pond Bio Pressure Filter
Here is the good news for all koi pond owners. Grech CPF-2500 Pond Bio Pressure Filter will take care of your pond containing up to 900 gallons of water. the compact sized filter is easy to hide anywhere in your pond for not disrupting the natural beauty. This pond filter uses 3 step filtration- biological, mechanical, and UV technology filtration.
The simple cleaning procedures don’t ask for continuous cleaning and make maintenance convenient. Moreover, the set-up process is quite easy as this filter has inlet and outlet both.
- Easy to hide because of the design
- UV light effectively cleans all the pollutants
- Super easy to clean
- Instructions are not clear
8. OASE BioSmart 10000 Pond Filter
If your pond has an average sized fish load, then the OASE BioSmart 10000 Pond Filter will be the most suitable one for you. This gravity filter comprises multistage mechanical and biological filtration. This pond filter creates a perfect environment for all beneficial bacteria within your pond. Moreover, it converts all harmful ammonia and nitrites into nitrates that immensely support the plant life in your pond.
This pond filters are filled with captivating features like in-built cleaning mechanism, or the water temperature gauge, etc.
- User-friendly so easy to use
- It can take care of large ponds
- There is a temperature gauge
- Ease of automatic cleaning system
- Need to have own connection to stop the overflow
9. OASE 706759403498 032209 Filtral
OASE Filtral Uvc 700 is a fusion of aquatic products and pumps filtration. Your delicate pond ecosystem won’t be harmed at all. All latest technology is incorporated with the design of this filter to provide you with fresh water always. If you own a fish pond, then this filter is capable of maintaining that. Get the all-in-one product at a reasonable price.
OASE Filtral Uvc 700 can clean a pond containing up to 700 gallons of water. The waterfall or fountain keeps the oxygen level suitable for pond organisms.
- The UV light kills active germs
- The pump is incorporated with the pond filter
- Suitable for a small pond only
10. Fish Mate 1000PUV Pressurized UV+Bio Pond Filter
The Fish Mate 1000PUV filter is an excellent combination of biological filtration and UV light filtration process. You can place it anywhere in the pond. This submersible pond filter will keep your pond’s water clear and make a suitable residence for the marine organisms.
This easy to use filtration system works below and above your pond’s waterline. Both the biological and UV filtration clean water efficiently.
- Hassle-free installation
- Easy to hide because of the design
- Water will be clear than ever within one week
- Very easy to clean
- Suitable for the small ponds
What is a Pond Filter?
A pond filter is one of the essential devices that you need to keep your pond clean. Pond filters provide sufficient oxygen into the water and help to keep the water clean and free from algae. Pond water becomes turbid and dirty with time a pond filter keeps the water clean. If you own a fish pond or koi pond in your garden, then a combination of a preliminary mechanical filter and a biological pond filter can go well for you.
Wondering what kind of pond filter and filtering equipment will be best for your pond? Here is the answer for you. The choice of pond filters entirely depends on your pond structure, size, and nature of the species you have in it. Here we are going to discuss everything about the best pond filters for you.
Why Your Water Feature Requires a Pond Filter?
As we all know, our backyard ponds are entirely human-made; they depend entirely on us when it comes to cleaning and maintaining a healthy ecosystem. A high-quality pond filter takes the responsibility of all the hard work that needs to keep a pond or some other water features.
The ecosystem of every pond or water feature has a nitrogen cycle. The process starts with the waste and leftover food sinking to the bottom. All those waste materials eventually get converted into ammonium and nitrate compounds. These compounds get absorbed by algae and plankton in the water. While the nitrogen is essential for bacteria growth, excessive growth of the nitrate compounds is not suitable for the fish presence in our pond. Not only that, but also the excessive bacteria growth can turn the crystal clear water of your lake into greenish so, there remains a fair bit of chance that your water feature loses its beauty with time if not appropriately maintained.
Therefore you need a pond filter just to keep your pond clean and healthy for all the living organisms there!
There are several types of pond filters available in the market. Depending on your need you just have to choose the best one. Below we have discussed how you can select the right pond filter.
How to Choose The Right Pond Filter for Your Needs?
With the summer season taking shape you must already get a gentle tickle by picturing yourself lavishing the spare time watching your fishes in the pond. But before that, having a healthy pond ecosystem is essential. Here are the key things you must consider before you choose the best pond filter for your water feature.
- Firstly, Set a budget
There is no point browsing through the hundreds of Pond filter models without working out on your budget. So firstly, know precisely how much you want to invest in your backyard pond or water feature. Filtration is one of the essential parts, thus reducing the budget of pond filtration is not something that is going to help in the long run.
- Figure out the Amount of Filtration You Need
Knowing the amount of filtration need is essential before choosing the best pond filters for your water feature. Here is how you can estimate the amount of filtration your pond requires.
- Firstly, figure out the volume of your pond
- For an approximately square, rectangular or circular shaped pond, you can use the following formula and easily figure out the volume:
- Length X Width X Depth = Volume
- For example, suppose the length of the pond is 10m, width is 8m, and depth is 1.2m.
- Therefore, the volume will be 10m X 8m X 1.2m = 96.0 ㎥ = 96000 Litres
After knowing the approx volume of your pond, it is time to calculate the filtration requirement. If you want to keep normal fish as in goldfish you just need to double the approx value of your pond. Because of the amount of waste in the pond is doubled by the fish, which means your filter will have to deal with more amount of things in the pond.
However, if you are looking to keep koi fish in the pond, then the filtration requirement changes. For Koi fish, you will have to quadruple the figure. The reason behind this is Koi fish produces a considerable amount of waste material in your pond.
Additionally, having the information about the type of pond filter system is essential before you choose the right one. Therefore here are the types of pond filters you can choose from.
Type of Pond Filters
- Skimmer Filter: Pond skimmer filters are mounted on the surface of the water. A pond skimmer filter is perfectly suitable for every type of pond and water feature irrespective of its size. The pond skimmer works as a filtration system that eliminates debris before it gets sunk and decomposed at the bottom of the pond.
- Pre Filter System: The Pre Filter system, popularly known as Filter boxes are specially designed for the small-sized pond. These filters are mainly a specific type of sponge filter. The filter boxes are generally attached to the intake of the pond water pump. The submersible filter boxes are used to collect solid waste materials like leaves, debris, fish waste string algae, and other unwanted organisms.
- Pressure Filter: Pressure filters have their uses in the small and medium-sized ponds. These types of pond filters are easy and convenient to use. Due to its flexibility, the Pressure Filters can be mounted either above the pond’s water line or buried in the ground.
- Waterfall Filters: The waterfall filters have different working mechanics then the other pond filters mentioned above. The waterfall filters need to be placed above the pond’s water level. Though you can use the Waterfall Filters in any kind of ponds, the best result can be brought only when you use it with small and medium pond.
- UV Sterilizers: It can be easily skipped from the list of pond filters, but the UV Sterilizers play an essential part in the pond filtration. You can quickly troubleshoot the green water problems in your pond through the UV Sterilizers. The UV Sterilizers remove free-floating organic components as in algae, fungi, virus, and bacteria from the pond. UV Sterilizers are one of the major filtration devices you need in your Fish Pond Filter System.
2 Benefits That Your Pond Filter Offers
No matter whether you have a pond with plants and fish in the backyard of your house or a waterfall, or fountain with some graceful statues a pond filter always offers a vibrant look to your water feature. Here is how you can find yourself beneficial having the best pond filter in your pond
- Get a Beautiful Environment
The pond or water feature adds a fantastic aquatic environment in your garden or backyard. But this is possible only when the pond has a crystal clear water along with a healthy ecosystem. A pond filter helps you to achieve that. The pond filters drag the dirty water from the source and filter it using the filtration system created through foam materials and bio-balls and feed your pond with clean water.
- Maintain the Proper Hygiene For the Living Organisms
Pond Filters maintain the overall hygiene of the pond while improving the quality of the water. If you have fish in your pond, then the waste released by the fishes increase the bacteria level. Therefore, you have to take special care to keep them alive by balancing the nutrient and bacteria level. A pond filter will maintain the right balance between the nutrients and concentration of bacteria.
However, now check out the list of our best pond filters to buy the one at an affordable price.
FAQs About Pond Filters
Q1: How big my pond filter should be?
Ans: Your pond filter must have to be at least 1.5 times larger than the number of gallons water your pond can contain. This means if your pond contains 400 gallons, then your pond filter must have a minimum filtration capacity of 1.5 X 400= 600 gallons per hour.
Q2: Do I need a UV Clarifier?
Ans: If you have a green water problem in your pond, then UV clarifier is a must-have. The pond water turns green because of the presence of algae. The UV Clarifier removes algae from the pond water and gives you a crystal clear water. Green water causes because of the exposure in the direct sunlight; therefore if you have a shaded pond, then you can skip the need for UV Clarifier.
Q3: How can I clean my pond filter?
Ans: The cleaning requirement for the pond filters varies depending upon its models and manufacturers. But there are some basic dos and don’ts that you must follow. Never wash your pond filter using the tap water. Try to wash the filter using the pond water itself. If you use tap water, it will kill all the beneficial bacteria available there so the balance of your pond ecosystem might get hampered. At the cleaning doesn’t mean washing the whole filtration system all you need to do is unclogging the foams and media.
Anyway, Folks! That’s all from our side. We have listed all the basic things you need to know about the best pond filters. You can choose any of the mentioned pond filters there depending on your need. Use the link given and save some extra bucks by availing the discounts!