Are you looking for the best tandem kayak ever? If you are a person who is into fun and recreational hobbies, you should definitely consider tandem Kayaks. You can either go solo kayaking or look for two or three-person kayaks. Either way, they tend to be wonderful investments and will prove to be worth every penny you have spent on it.
This guide preps you up on the various things to consider while buying so that you may be able to make a quality purchase. When you opt for the right product, not only will you be able to lay your hands on the right gears, but also be able to have quality time on your kayak for years to come.
- 1 Best Tandem Kayak Comparison Chart
- 2 The 10 Best Rated Tandem Kayaks Reviews For 2019
- 2.1 1. Intex Explorer K2 Kayak
- 2.2 2. Intex Challenger K1 Kayak
- 2.3 3. Ocean Kayak 12 feet Malibu Two Sit On Top Recreational Kayak
- 2.4 4. Intex Challenger K2 Kayak
- 2.5 5. Lifetime 10 Foot Sport Fisher Tandem Kayak
- 2.6 6. Sevylor Big Basin 3 Person Kayak
- 2.7 7. AIRHEAD AHTK-2 Montana Performance 2 Person Kayaks
- 2.8 8. Lifetime 10 Foot Manta Tandem Kayak
- 2.9 9. Vibe Kayaks Skipjack 120T
- 2.10 10. BKC UH – TK181 Kayak
- 3 What Is a Tandem Kayak?
- 4 How To Choose Best Tandem Kayak
- 5 Tandem Kayak VS Canoe
Best Tandem Kayak Comparison Chart
The 10 Best Rated Tandem Kayaks Reviews For 2019
The items section have been chosen with the intention of making these as diverse as possible. Therefore, here you will find tandem sea kayak, ocean, inflatable, fishing, recreational & touring kayak.
1. Intex Explorer K2 Kayak
This is a highly comfortable tandem kayak with inflatable seats for 2 persons. It has a very good directional stability, which is aided by a removable skeg. It comes in a bright yellow color so as to increase visibility and avoid accidents. The tandem kayak is made for smaller water bodies like mild river and lakes.
- Dimension – 20 by 36 by 123 inches
- 2 separate air chambers
- Boston valves that assist in quick inflation as well as deflation
- I beam floor for better rigidity
- Weight 31.13 lbs
- Holds two people
2. Intex Challenger K1 Kayak
This is a highly durable kayak featuring eye-catching graphics for additional safety. The kayak is inflatable and has an I-beam for better stability. Space is wide enough to offer a very comfortable kayaking experience. This is a right tandem kayak for solo paddlers. This is good for one person kayak.
- A cargo net for storing extra gear
- Backrest on seats
- Grab line on both sides of the kayak
- Aluminum oar measuring 84 inches
- High output hand pump
- Repair patch
- Maximum capacity of 220 pounds
- Weighs 27.2 lbs
- Dimension – 30 by 15 by 108 inches
3. Ocean Kayak 12 feet Malibu Two Sit On Top Recreational Kayak
This sit-in tandem kayak offers room for or 2 people and a child tandem kayak for the family. It allows for two different seating positions for those who want to go solo kayaking, which is on the bow and middle stern. This tandem ocean kayak complete with footwells that allow for a comfortable and secure foot bracing while paddling.
- Carry handles on the side for the ease of portability
- Gear straps
- Comfort plus seats
- Easy on-dock-storage
- Enough space to hold the hold legs comfortably
- Stern seat width of 18.5”
- Center seat width of 20.25”
- Bowleg length – 44”
- Stern leg length – 42 “
- Weighs 62.5 lbs
- Maximum weight capacity of 375 lbs
- Bright yellow color
4. Intex Challenger K2 Kayak
The Intex Challenger K2 is one of the right tandem kayaks under 500. It has a streamlined design which allows for highly comfortable paddling. It is designed to be used over mild rivers and lakes. The kayak comes in a bright green color and sporty graphics and allows for easy inflation and deflation. It is a very good tandem kayak for 2 persons.
- Measures 30 by 15 by 138 inches
- Maximum weight capacity of 400 lbs
- Aluminum oars measuring 86 inches
- Made using super tough vinyl
- UV resistant
- Offers room for two people
- Grab lines for easy portaging
- Offers high visibility in the water
- Cargo nets for storing the essentials
- Comes together with a repair patch kit
5. Lifetime 10 Foot Sport Fisher Tandem Kayak
This Tandem kayak for fishing and offers enough room to seat 3 people at a time comfortably. It has a tunnel hull design which gives added stability so that one can stand up on the kayak without the risk of tipping over. There are many other convenient features included in a tandem kayak like built-in paddle cradles and clips, cup holders, fishing pole holders, all of which go into making this kayak.
- Made of high-density polyethylene
- Weight capacity of 500 lbs
- The design offers superior tracking
- Resistant towards peeling, fading and cracking
- Different positions for footrest
- Includes 2 padded backrests, fishing pole holders, 2 double-sided paddles and a six feet storage hatch
6. Sevylor Big Basin 3 Person Kayak
This kayak for taking your family out on-water adventures. It is made using a heavy-duty PVC construct and has multiple air chambers for added safety. You can use this both over whitewater as well as in calm lakes with much comfort. This is a very good choice for 3 person kayak.
- Tarpaulin bottom to avoid punctures
- Boston Valve with easy inflation and deflation
- Spray covers to keep out the splashes
- An AirTight system with a no-leak guarantee
- Movable seats that can be adjusted for maximum comfort
7. AIRHEAD AHTK-2 Montana Performance 2 Person Kayaks
Those looking for an inflatable tandem kayak for whitewater may find this particularly interesting. The AIRHEAD AHTK is a 12-foot long inflatable kayak with a 2 person capacity. It has a light and compact design which allows for easy portability. This is also one of the top kayaks for superior tracking and buoyancy.
- Weight – 36.3 lbs
- Maximum weight capacity of 500 lbs
- Bright orange color
- Semi-rigid PVC construction
- Spray covers to keep out water
- Neoprene elbow guards
- 3 air chambers
- Grab-in handles
8. Lifetime 10 Foot Manta Tandem Kayak
This kayak designed for the tandem as well as single-use. This one is particularly eye-catching, for the kayak has an extra superior tracking and ultra stability that makes it the excellent sit on top kayak. It is impossible to tip over while paddling in this kayak. This lifetime tandem kayak features the following specs that you would definitely want to miss out on.
- Weight 60 lbs
- Carry handles on the front and back
- High and dry eats to offer the tandem kayak sit on top experience
- Soft backrests
- Double-sided paddles
- 5-year warranty
9. Vibe Kayaks Skipjack 120T
This is another one of the short and highly informative tandem kayak highlighting all the features and specs to make your buying experience worthwhile. It can be used on seas, surfs, lakes, anywhere you want. With room enough for three, this is easily capable of sea kayak experience for fishing. With maximum stability, This tandem kayak paddling over all types of water bodies.
- Weight capacity of 500 lbs
- Weighs 72 lbs
- Mount Rod holders
- Tie-down straps
- Paddle parks
- Carrying handles
10. BKC UH – TK181 Kayak
There are many reasons for the inclusion of the BKC UH in this sea kayak. It is mainly a sit on top kayak used for fishing. It has everything you would want in the perception of tandem kayak for oceans. There are fishing rod holders, secure paddle parks to keep them from falling and comfortable carry handles for the ease of carrying. Give below are the specs that make valuable tandem fishing kayak an easy winner in the midst of all tandem fishing kayak.
- The load capacity of 450 lbs
- Measures 12 feet 5 inches long
- 34-inch beam
- Paddle rests for comfortable paddling
- Multiple waterproof storage areas
- Aluminum paddles of high quality
- Designed to be used for solo and tandem use
What Is a Tandem Kayak?
A tandem kayak is the one that allows two people to go kayaking together. Some even have room enough to comfortably allow three passengers. The first thing about a tandem kayak is that they allow the passengers to bond together and share the adventure which can make the kayaking experience even more enjoyable and memorable. These can be used for fishing, touring, recreation and various other purposes. They provide a great workout for the body while also allowing you to take the very best of nature.
Tandem Kayak VS Canoe
The main difference between a tandem kayak and canoe is that canoes are uncovered watercraft while kayaks have a closed hull. Kayaks feature a cockpit in their design which is totally absent in the canoes. The bow of a kayak comes to a V at the front. However, they are much narrower and shallower as compared to canoes. Canoes allow the paddlers to sit directly on the bottom while kayaks have fixed seats. A canoe can easily be used for solo paddling, but can a tandem kayak be used solo? Yes, however, there has to be a person seated at the back just to maintain the stability even if he is not rowing. If you want to know more about best canoe on the market. You can simply click the link.
Since tandem kayaks can vary considerably in shape, size, design, and purpose of use, one should be very careful while making the selection. Remember to keep the above things in mind so as to make the best value purchase. You should also check a point to consider the build and durability so that your money does not go down the drain just with a few kayaking adventures.